The winter season is usually the time when you want your house to be as close to perfect as you can get it. After all, you and your family are probably spending the most time inside during the winter. At the heart of these concerns is your plumbing system.
Per our plumbers at Central Plumbing in New Hope, we’d like to share some tips with you on the best ways to maintain your plumbing system during the winter. Doing so, you’ll be able to save significant money, time and hassle in the long run.
- How to Prevent Clogging Your Drains: This quick and safe weekly process will treat your drains the way they should be treated:
- Make a mixture of 1 cup of salt, 1 cup of baking soda, and 1/4 cup cream of tartar
- Pour the same amount of the concoction into all your drains
- Follow up with 2 cups of boiling water
- How to Protect Your Hot and Cold Water Pipes against Freezing: Insulate your pipes with foam padding sleeves or special insulating tape. Any exposed pipe can be kept warm with space heaters. Always make sure to scan all the pipes in your house to make sure no frost or ice is accumulating.
- Careful Cooking When It’s Cold Out: Grease and oil are never good for your kitchen drains, pipes and garbage disposals, but during the cold season these things are more likely to collect and clog. Avoid dumping things down there haphazardly!
- Spread Out Everyone’s Showers Throughout the Winter Day: In order to maintain maximum hot water pressure, tell everyone in your home to wait 10 minutes between taking the next shower.
- Outdoor Spigots and Hoses: Make sure to detach your garden hoses and close the shut-off valves on their pipes before the freezing cold temperatures hit. You’ll also want to drain any residual water from them. Then roll up the hoses until spring!
In the end, the key to your plumbing system is to just be prepared!
If you live in New Hope, call our plumbers at Central Plumbing to visit you home and take care of any plumbing issue you may have!